Five healthy beverages for this season
With light rain showers showing up every now and then, current weather is indicative of the settling cold. A cup of hot beverage always brings comfort in this climate. Following is a list of 5 hot beverage recipes that come handy for the winter season.
1. Easy Chai Tea: A favourite winter beverage in many countries, easy chai tea does justice to its name. Its preparation requires minimal ingredients and very little time.
Ingredients- 2 cups milk, 2 cups water, cinnamon, ginger, sugar (optional) and tea bags.
Method- Boil cinnamon and ginger in water and add milk and sugar to the boiled water. Put tea bag in a cup, pour the mixture and steep for about 5 minutes.
2. Flavoured Delight: A delightful mix of milk and chocolate with strong flavours, it makes for the perfect drink to sip by the fireplace with friends.
Ingredients- 2 cups milk, 1 tsp honey, 3 tbsp drinking chocolate from divine chocolates, 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon, ½ orange (zested).
Method- Add the ingredients to a saucepan and heat on low. Stir continuously for 10 minutes until dark brown. Strain and serve immediately.
3. Spiced Hot Cider: Not only is this drink fantastic to taste, it also works wonders on the health front.
Ingredients- ½ orange, 1 quart apple cider, 2 tbsp. brown sugar, ½ tsp. allspice, ½ tsp. cloves, ¼ cinnamon stick, nutmeg and salt to taste.
Method- Simmer orange cut into wedges, apple cider, brown sugar, allspice, cloves and cinnamon stick in a saucepan on medium flame. Add a pinch of nutmeg and salt for taste and serve hot.
4. Easy blender eggnog: As the name suggests, easy blender eggnog is a fairly simple beverage to prepare. It is thus, a perfect drink during the lazy winters.
Ingredients- 2cups heavy cream, 4 large eggs, ½ cup sugar, 1/4teaspoon nutmeg, ¾ cup brandy.
Method- Simmer the heavy cream, nutmeg and sugar in a medium saucepan. Blend the eggs in a blender for about a minute. Slowly, add the cream, nutmeg and sugar mixture to the blender. Keep the motor running until it turns frothy. Lastly, add brandy, blend some more and serve warm.
5. Mulled Cranberry Punch: With fruit juices as the key ingredients, this drink is super-healthy. Its rich colour and aroma work wonders on one’s senses.
Ingredients- 2 cups cranberry juice, 1 cup orange juice, 1 cup water and spices.
Method- Simmer cranberry juice, orange juice, water and spices in a cooker on low flame. Keep cooking until the colour turns ruby red. Serve hot.